ISSUE UPDATE: Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19)
From the Desk of Virginia W. Harris, MPA, CIA, CGFM – National President
National Coalition of 100 Black Women, Inc.
Coronavirus 2019 (COVID – 19)
Dear NCBW’s Members,
Thank you for sharing your professional insights and personal concerns. We’re listening and ask that you continue to remain prayerful, yet vigilant.
On Wednesday, March 11, 2020, the World Health Organization declared the coronavirus a pandemic. Many states where we have chapters have declared a state of emergency.
The following is being proposed to ensure the health & safety of our members & the communities.
- We encourage all NCBW Chapters to follow local official guidance and to carefully consider delaying upcoming public events or gatherings.
- Be creative in conducting meetings, workshops, training and events electronically (provide instructions regarding how to participate in the electronic activities).
- We will provide Webinar training and templates to assist Chapters continue their work virtually.
The World Health Organization and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have published advice to help prevent the spread of respiratory illnesses like coronavirus and influenza. The recommendations include:
- Stay informed. Daily updates are added to the CDC website at www.cdc.gov.
- Stay home if you are sick.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for no less than 20 seconds. If you use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer, make sure it contains a minimum of 60% alcohol in its list of ingredients. (Clean hands after touching elevator buttons, grocery carts, public door handles, gas pump handles, etc.)
- Avoid putting your hands in your mouth or rubbing your eyes with unwashed hands.
- Use tissues when you sneeze or cough, and immediately discard the tissue. If you don’t have any tissue, sneeze or cough into your flexed elbow.
- Do not have close contact with others who have flu-like symptoms.
- Disinfect objects and surfaces regularly as viruses survive on objects and surfaces for hours and days.
Thank you in advance for taking the appropriate actions to ensure the safety of all. Below is an update on Chapter Programs and the 2020 Leadership Conference. Virginia W. Harris, MPA, CIA, CGFM ISSUE UPDATE: Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19)
We know that many chapters have ongoing programs and service events planned that benefit their communities in numbers large and small. We ask that you practice social distancing when necessary and that you evaluate proceedings based on the information related to your geographical area.
If your chapter has to cancel or postpone program and service events, the Standards Committee will provide special instructions for filing for an exception.
2020 Leadership Conference
We are constantly monitoring the situation as it relates to conferences and gatherings. As we move closer to our 2020 Leadership Conference in Montego Bay, Jamaica we will know better how to proceed based on information received from the government and our Jamaica officials. We will provide you with updated information as we receive it and whatever we do, we will follow all required protocols and guidelines.
Find more tips on emergency wellness preparedness at ready.gov.
Virginia W.Harris, National President